Reading Challenges

December 25, 2010

Dickens' A Christmas Carol

For the past five days I've been reading a stave a day from Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, timed to finish today on Christmas day.  I assume most are familiar with the story, so I won't summarize it here, but what a pleasure it was to finally read this text!  I've seen many a film version and even a live play or two growing up, but had never sat down to read the original Christmas tale of positive transformation.  What struck me about A Christmas Carol is just how accessible it is.  One can breeze through the book in a matter of minutes, (okay, maybe in an hour), and yet wholly appreciate the lush unrushed descriptions that Dickens provides for his characters and settings.  The atmospheric taste of how Christmas was once celebrated is equally appreciated alongside touching descriptions of Scrooge's anguish and later transformation.  It's also wonderful to hear classic quotes in their original context (decrease the surplus population, etc.), which makes them all the more relevant upon hearing them uttered as a popular culture reference.

You can read A Christmas Carol online HERE

I leave you with Dickens' preface: I have endeavoured in this Ghostly little book, to raise the Ghost of an Idea, which shall not put my readers out of humour with themselves, with each other, with the season, or with me. May it haunt their houses pleasantly, and no one wish to lay it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...